Talking With the Danish

While the President is overseas, he took the time to be interviewed by the DBC. Some interesting quotes came about:


[snip]
Q Let me change subjects completely if I may. The cultural war, as it often described here in America, is something that we in Denmark look upon with some interest and some also maybe lack of understanding -- gay marriage, abortion, and so forth.

THE PRESIDENT: Sure.

Q Why have these subjects become such a focus in America today?

THE PRESIDENT: Well, I think abortion -- I know abortion has been a focus for quite a period of time. And there is a genuine philosophical debate, a debate amongst good people -- good, decent, honorable, patriotic Americans who have a difference of opinion. I happen to be one who believes that we ought to guard life; life is precious in all forms, all stages. And that then leads into political debates, that philosophy, that belief leads into political debates on issues like whether or not a parent should be notified prior to a daughter's abortion, for example. That's how it has manifested -- different laws, for example. Occasionally -- somebody proposed a law, for example, if you murder a pregnant woman, should the person be charged with murder once or twice? I happen to believe the person ought to be charged twice, first the mother and second the -- the child. And that, of course, sparks debate. And that's why you're seeing debates on this issue.
Gay marriage is another issue --

Q Can I just, if I may, your personal -- do you think abortion should be illegal?

THE PRESIDENT: No, I've always believed that there -- we ought to -- abortion ought to be illegal with the exception of rape, incest, or life of the mother. But, look, I'm a realist, as well. I mean, this is an issue that has polarized the American political society. And in order to get good policy in place that protects the life of a child, we're going to have to change hearts. And it's -- so I've been promoting what I call a culture of life, at every aspect of the debate remind people that life is precious. And -- but I can see why people take an interest in the debates here. It's -- it's -- I happen to believe a society based upon respect for life is an important society -- is a whole society, I guess is a better way to put it.

I see this as contrary to what many of the President's conservative supporters believe; many in that camp want abortion of any form outlawed. The President's desire to "guard life" is also dubious; a child (no matter how they were conceived) is a life but apparently not in his eyes if the father was a relative or rapist, or if the child's birth means the death of the mother.

Well, shouldn't we try to enforce the laws against incest and rape? And while we're at it, safe sex? Aren't a majority of unwanted pregnancies due to lack of education on the subject? And how soon can it be determined that childbirth can kill the mother? Doesn't that depend on her health? What if it's not determined until after 7 months or so? What then?

All the more reason to let the mother decide.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Actresses Who Should Be Considered For A Wonder Woman Movie

5 Actresses Who Deserve a Bigger Break