Curious About China (and Hong Kong)

I received a comment about my last post concerning yet another port deal (this time involving China). It came from Chinalawblog (a very informative site BTW) and the message was:

"There is still a difference between Hong Kong and China and there is certainly a difference between the typical HK company and China company. This will be plenty interesting, however, to see how this all plays out. "

True indeed. Not being an expert on Hong Kong/China business relations myself, I'm asking if the commenter (I'm assuming it was either Mr. Harris or Mr. Dickinson) can give me an example of their differences, and if I could get their thoughts on how this situation is being viewed by both Hong Kong and China. Or better yet, if it's already been blogged, let me know and I'll link to it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Gosh, it's always difficult having to expound on something that was pumped out quickly, with no expectation of ever having to back it up. But since you complimented our blog, fairness dictates I must weigh in.

When I was talking about how HK and China are different, I was vaguely referring to their politics, legal systems, and business mores. HK is in many ways still quite British. Its legal system is much closer to England's than it is to China. Its businesses (particularly its larger ones) tend to be much more influenced by the West than are China's. Most of China's largest businesses are either government owned or in very close with the government. That is far less true of HK businesses. Far less.

HK business are in busines to make money. China businesses are also, but their government ties always complicate things.


China Lawyer

Popular posts from this blog

Five Actresses Who Should Be Considered For A Wonder Woman Movie

5 Actresses Who Deserve a Bigger Break