The MD/VA/DC Primaries Are Here!




Before I get into some of the local stories, let me say that I love voting. It's the only chance average Americans get to have their voices heard without having to donate money or time to vitural strangers.




I had a chance to change my political affiliation but decided against it. I really wish Maryland allowed you to vote for anyone in the primaries (just once, of course) because I think with that option, you'd get a real sense of whether or not voters are crossing political lines. Of course, there's always the chance undesirables will try to muck things up, but you don't get anywhere without some risk.




This rule is one reason I am not voting Republican. Another is the atrocious candidates.




Mike Huckabee says nice things during debates, but in his stump speeches he acts like a guy who wants to convert everyone to his own brand of Christianity. I don't believe people who aren't Christians or aren't religious should be forced to adopt Christianity; this isn't the 18th Century anymore. I also think that there are so many forms of Christianity; who's to say that a Baptist is better than a Protestant, or that a Catholic is closer to God than someone's who is AME? So Huckabee's out.




Ron Paul's style is more subtle; you either believe that he wrote those things in that magizine or you don't. The only real issue I agree with him is his stance on Iraq, but his motives our different. He says he's Libertarian, but it's that isolationist brand; the "don't bother me and I won't bother you type." I've lived in neighborhoods that had that philosophy and it isn't healthy for communities; when something like a robbery or fire happens, everyone's just looking out for themselves. I believe in a "we're all in this together" mentality, so Paul's out.




Then there's John McCain. He's a decorated war vet. The media calls him a "maverick," but that's really because he was one of the few Republicans who didn't kiss George W. Bush ass five times a day during his first term in office. The conservatives hate him, but that's only because he thinks that you should be bi-partisan every once in a while. But over the last few years, he tried everything possible to win the favor of people who never really like him. I get this nagging feeling that should he wins the Republican nomination (and it sure looks that way) he'll try to hide his "conservative" credentials and make a play for the middle. But what's he going to promise that middle? They don't want to stay in Iraq. He hardly ever talks about jobs. He freely admits that economic isn't his strong suit. His environment talk is just that. Other than the military, he has next to nothing to offer Middle America. So McCain is out.




So that leaves the Democrats, and since Mike Gravel has yet to win a state I'm narrowing it down to Sen. Clinton and Sen. Obama. I haven't made my final decision yet, and I've check their sites again and again whenever an issue popped into my head.




Other than my own pet issues (Iraq/foriegn policy, health care, education, civil rights, jobs) I'm looking to find out which candidate is reaching out more. Not just to people of their own party, or states they think they can sweep. President Bush showed that governing to your base is a sure way to damage the country, as well as the people's faith in good government.




Now for some stories/links:






  1. For VA, the young are coming out to vote.


  2. Obama and Clinton do local interviews.


  3. Bill Clinton sticks his foot in his mouth again.


  4. Sen. Clinton has Obama by about $1.5 million...


  5. ...but Obama does better against McCain.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Actresses Who Should Be Considered For A Wonder Woman Movie

5 Actresses Who Deserve a Bigger Break