On Barack Obama and Rick Warren

I'll just say these points and leave it be:

  1. Read Obama's books and his website for his views on gay rights. It's there; it been there. To act like this is some sudden shift plays into the hands of people who said, "We don't know anything about him! He can't be trusted!"
  2. Obama's philosophy on this is simply, "You can disagree without being disagreeable." To me, that's light years from, "You're either with us or against us."
  3. I find it interesting that I've seen this negative reaction from two-thirds of JP's Triumvirate, especially since one of them had (not too long ago) implied that people make shit up during campaigns; you know, in order to win them.
  4. Question: who really thinks that Warren's sermon/speech will actually make pro-gay rights people say, "Hey, I was all for my friend/relative/neighbor getting married and having health benefits, but now, they can burn in Hell?" Did Obama's election suddenly turn America into a purely non-racist nation?
  5. This "Obama's a minority! He should know how gays feel!" vibe I'm getting from the poo-poo crowd is really annoying. Trying to connect Gay Rights to the Civil Rights Movement in any way will fail to get minorities (in this case, African-Americans) to support it. I have a suggestion on how to frame it, but that's not the subject of this particular post.
  6. Where Poorman sees impatience, I see hypocrisy. So "making shit up" about one's opponent is fine, but speaking up for gay rights during a campaign and then inviting a religious figure who's anti-gay to preach/talk for 10 minutes is a sign of the End of Times? I guess Obama should change his mind about meeting with Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in the future too, seeing how the guy isn't too fond of Jewish people. Don't want to give anyone the wrong impression, right?

That's it. While I'm not calling this move a great one, I personally don't think this is "news." Rick Warren giving/not giving a preach-speech will not bring back American troops from Iraq, will not stabilize our economy, and will not improve our health care system.

P.S.: JP points out that the lack of gay or lesbians in his cabinet does not help Obama's arguments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Actresses Who Should Be Considered For A Wonder Woman Movie

5 Actresses Who Deserve a Bigger Break