Cue the Right-Wing Freakout

Haroon Saleem of Granite Falls, Washington won the election for the city's mayor. And he's...*gasp*...MUSLIM!

But for some reason the townsfolk don't seem to be too bothered.

Saleem said he was nervous about being accepted, and hired a white assistant manager to ease local concerns when he opened his bar in 2000.

"I was kind of scared, you know," he says.

But he was embraced virtually from the start.

"That tells you how good and great of a community Granite Falls is," he says with a slight accent. "They didn't care ... I am who I am, and people love me for that, and I just love people. People know that I am smart, I am a businessman. In the big scheme of things, all these qualities have made me, got me to where I am today."


So if a small town in America can (for the most part) embrace someone who's of a different religion, why can't the party who claims to speak for small town America do the same?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Actresses Who Should Be Considered For A Wonder Woman Movie

5 Actresses Who Deserve a Bigger Break