Blizzard Message

FYI: I got this message this morning from my local councilman:

9:15 am Wed Feb 10th

Again, my staff and I are monitoring phone calls to the office (301) 952-3887 and emails that we receive. We are forwarding concerns directly to the personnel supervising the snow removal teams. I am getting these emails on my Blackberry - your message is being read and dealt with.

I will be trying to get a new status report this morning. At this moment, i do not have new information. Yesterday, the focus was to finish getting to ALL residential streets, including continuing that effort during the early parts of the new storm. Unfortunately, that means making streets "passable" not clear. That has just been the reality of the magnitude of this storm. I have personally checked on many of the residential streets that people have complained about, and I have gotten equipment out there by working with the DPWT leadership. Nonetheless, many of these streets that are "passable" result in cars getting stuck.

I have been out on surveys the past two evenings, and it is amazing to see main State and County roads in as poor shape as they are. Contrary to many complaints I/we have received, this is not an indication of incompetence or mismanagement. The magnitude of the weekend storm was unlike anything seen before and "normal" operations (by normal, I mean every person and every piece of equipment working around the clock doing normal plowing). There have been many reasons that "normal" doesn't work. The biggest impediment is people trying to drive the roads and getting stuck, which hinders plow operations. The next biggest impediment has been plows getting stuck in the original deep snow. Much of the smaller equipment intended for basic plowing on smaller neighborhood streets cannot plow 28" inches of snow. Thus, it has required teams of 2-3 pieces of equipment to work in tandem - limiting the number of places that can be reached at one time. Further, the constant wear and tear in harsh conditions has led to numerous instances of equipment failure. Smaller failures have equipment taken back to the garage to get the pieces back out quickly.

To complicate matters, early in the storm, plows had to be diverted from regular clearing operations to get the power companies to outage areas (those big trucks of theirs could not negotiate 28" of snow and it was necessary to send plows with them). The same diversion occurred for the many EMS calls to clear paths for fire trucks and ambulances. Last, there have been trees down and cars abandoned in the middle of neighborhood streets so that plows could not get further back in neighborhoods. So, for all of the complaints.... I don't mind fielding the calls and emails, but it is important to understand that this was not just a big snow, this has essentially been a natural disaster that has stretched every government in the region to the limits.

But, where are we now?

I spent yesterday afternoon at the Snow District 1 Operations Center in Glendale. In addition to seeing that many of your issues got attention, I sat through the County conference call where all Operations Centers go over their status and their challenges. It is very instructive to see what the personnel are dealing with. As noted above, the goal was to keep as much equipment finishing neighborhood streets as possible. Then, heavier equipment was being pulled to get the Primary Roads cleared for this new snow. Because of the efforts to get into every residential street, we hope that after this storm ends, DPWT can get the Primaries cleared fairly quickly and can get back into the residential streets to get the new snow. By getting much of the original 28" cleared, the new 8-12" should be fairly "manageable". I will follow up with new info when I have it.

I have tried to get plows to respond to all of your requests, including those late yesterday afternoon where there were some isolated instances. If you believe that you still haven't seen a plow, email me right back and I will try to get someone out there - note that in a number of cases where residents have worked together to clear enough to get out and then driven 4-wheel drives on it, the plow drivers come and take a look and believe that an earlier crew took care of you. It can be real hard to tell the difference. Let me know and I will try to get someone on it.

Monday night, I toured West Laurel where I live (got stuck real bad which never happens, and told me i might be more of a hindrance than a help). Then i headed through the City of Laurel (good work) over to Cherry Lane (a disgrace - I literally called for heavy equipment (it now looks great)), down to Snow Hill Manor (really needed work), through Montpelier (pretty good, but Snowden Loop and and Montpelier Forest were left undone), down Muirkirk (generally in great shape) to Montpelier Hills. I found the plow driver for the South Laurel sector and confirmed that he was going to get to Snowden & Montpelier Woods, Woodbridge and other communities. I then went down Muirkirk to Ammendale and up Old Gunpowder. Pretty good on those Roads. NOTE: I couldn't get out until Monday either (I was hunkered down like everyone).

Tuesday night, after the Operations Center, I came up Riggs Rd to White Oak/Buck Lodge (really needed more work), and through Adelphi/Hillandale Gardens (had seen plows, but really needed work). Small plows were in there and I called in to have them go back to White Oak/Buck Lodge when they finished. I avoided getting stuck (barely) but I knew that conditions were really deteriorating and that I should get off the roads before I became an impediment. I headed back up Powder Mill (pretty good) to Ammendale and down to Virginia Manor (need to check access to the hospital from Beltsville). We had sent crews out there earlier, but with the traffic on Virginia Manor, it made it hard on the crews. Generally, it was in decent shape up to the Gazette printing plant, but real chancy from there to Van Dusen. I went down to Mayfair (really bad, so I called again for that to be done). Finally, I knew I needed to check out Contee and Cherry Lane, both of which had been so bad. Contee was really horrible from Victoria Falls to Route 1 (I didn't venture further east because of what I had heard). I went up Route 1 to Cherry Lane and it was in great shape - there was a huge piece of equipment working on it (as I had requested) and it had done a great job. The good news was that it was almost done and then heading to Contee. Heading for home, I cut down Sweitzer to Bounds and found that the complaints about Bounds were well founded. I located small plows over on Kent that had done a great job from Bond Mill to Kent, so I asked to have them redirected back to Bounds.

Beltsville/Calverton - I didn't get the chance for a personal inspection (yet - I will be there next), but I have been in direct communication with many residents via phone and email, so I have been trying to get attention out there. I know in Beltsville we had issues on the streets off of Montgomery (most of that got addressed, but I expect there are a few missed streets), and I know it took forever to get to Ammendale/Sequoia over in North Creek. Hopefully, they got addressed, but let me know and I will be in touch with the Snow Operations Center.

TODAY

For today, be prepared for power outages. Blizzard conditions with high winds are forecast today. Call immediately if your power goes out. It is important for everyone to call so that they see the magnitude and breadth of the outage - it isn't always obvious to them without all of the calls.

If you are serviced by BG&E, call 1-877-778-2222. For PEPCO, call 1-877-737-2662.

Please call my office at (301) 952-3887 to let us know so we can help monitor with BGE/PEPCO.

Please stay off the roads today - it could hinder clean up operations.

NOTE: Following are the general guidelines for snow removal - it may be slower because of the previous storm. Please have reasonable expectation. We are looking at about 12" today with blizzard conditions through 7pm. So, START counting hours from 7pm tonight and you will have an idea of what to expect.

Primary Roads 4 - 8 inches Bare Pavement within 12 hours

Residential Streets 4 - 8 inches Passable within 24-36 hours


Primary Roads 8 - 12 inches Bare Pavement within 24 hours

Residential Streets 8 - 12 inches Passable within 36 - 48 hours


Primary Roads 12 - 18 inches Bare Pavement within 24 - 36 hours

Residential Streets 12 - 18 inches Passable within 48 - 72 hours

• Move and keep vehicles off snow emergency routes

• Park in driveways or other off-road locations wherever possible

• Park only on the EVEN-NUMBERED sides of streets

(This is very important in order to allow plows to clear residential roadways. Plows cannot maneuver around vehicles to clear roadways. One side of the roadway must clear of vehicles for plow drivers to effectively perform snow and ice removal services.)


Call or email with updates from your community, but it will be likely 36-48 hours to get to passable in most locations - Meaning Friday.

Tom Dernoga, Chair

Prince George's County Council (District 1)

(301) 952-3887

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Actresses Who Should Be Considered For A Wonder Woman Movie

5 Actresses Who Deserve a Bigger Break