Senate Candidate: What's Rape Got To Do With It?

Via Think Progress, an exchange with a the radio host Bill Manders and GOP hopeful Sharron Angle:

MANDERS: Is there any reason at all for an abortion?

ANGLE: Not in my book.

MANDERS: So, in other words, rape and incest would not be something?

ANGLE: You know, I’m a Christian, and I believe that God has a plan and a purpose for each one of our lives and that he can intercede in all kinds of situations and we need to have a little faith in many things.



I just love when yahoos like this try the "God's Plan" rationale. So, Ms. Angle: was 9/11 part of God's Plan? How about Hurricane Katrina? The BP Oil Spill? AIDS?

And as far as interceding, I wonder what the ratio is of actual rapes and incest versus the times it almost happened, if not for divine intervention.

While I consider myself a believer, I understand that there are many people who either (1) don't believe or (b) believe in something completely foreign to my beliefs. In either case, rape or incest can be justified. So to just paint a coat of "God's Plan" over someone's sin in order to prevent the person who was sinned against from sinning reeks of ignorance.

And let's not even go into the different interpretations of God here: apparently Angle believes in the "Superman God;" the hero who swoops in just in time to stop the Bad Guy. Of course, to believe this you have to accept that those who aren't "saved" may not have done anything to deserve it. Personally, that's not the God I was raised to believe in.

All this being said, this is why I've always believed that the choice should be with the woman and (hopefully) her doctor's council. Angle's clearly hasn't seen or experienced too many areas of gray, otherwise she wouldn't have dismissed the rape/incest scenario as something for God to handle. But few people have, so why not let them be the judge?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Actresses Who Should Be Considered For A Wonder Woman Movie

5 Actresses Who Deserve a Bigger Break